Soybeans are considered to be a source of complete protein. A complete protein is one that contains significant amounts of all the essential amino acids that must be provided to the human body because of the body’s inability to synthesize them. For this reason, soy is a good source of protein, amongst many others, for people who want to reduce the amount of meat they eat. Because meat contain more fat, especially saturated fat.
NUTRIENTS IN SOY
Good source of enriched Calcium and Vitamin B12
- Low in fat with no cholesterol
- Contains essential heart friendly omega-3 fats
- Temph, soy flour and texture soy protein are excellent source of fiber.
- Complete protein, containing all the amino acids essential to human nutrition
- Provides important minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron and selenium
- Rich in probiotics in the form of fermented soy products, such as miso, tempeh, and soy yogurt.
- Contains isoflavones which are beneficial in reducing risk of various cancers, heart disease and osteoporosis
- Whole soy foods such as tofu and tempeh form a nutrient rich alternative to meat
- Soybeans contain high levels of several health beneficial compounds including tocopherols which have antioxidant properties. Tocopherols could play a role in cardiovascular disease and cancer prevention.
Many type of soy milk in the market are processed form. These soy milk are not made with real soybeans. Fresh soy milk is best. Choose whole soy bean milk. Avoid soy milk made from soy protein or soy isolate. These soy milk will contain additives. It helps to extend the shelf-life. And also, check the label for sugar content. It contain brown rice or evaporated cane juice , avoid it. Because , these kind of soy milk contain more calories than a cup of skim milk. Fresh soy milk available at certain health food stores.
FERMENTED SOY FOODS IS GOOD
- Edamame, or young green soybeans, are a great source of protein. Just one half-cup serving of edamame provides 8 grams of protein. They steam in minutes and are perfect to eat as a snack or add to a salad.
- Other whole soy options include varieties like tempeh, miso and natto, made of fermented cooked soybeans. The fermentation allows nutrients to be more easily absorbed into the body, as fermented foods are brimming with good-for-your-belly probiotics, which help keep our gut flora healthy.
- Tempeh is a high-protein source of nutrients like vitamins B2, B6, and B3, and minerals magnesium, copper, iron, manganese, and phosphorous. In addition, it is a good source of monounsaturated fats.
- Miso is rich in vitamin B12, which is a power player when it comes to metabolizing fats and carbohydrates. Miso pastes are available in supermarkets. Be sure to purchase the low-sodium variety.
- Natto is a sticky paste made by adding healthy bacteria to lightly cooked soybeans and fermenting. Natto is a powerful food rich in the enzyme nattokinase, which has been shown to reduce the risk of blood clots and help break up the plaque associated with Alzheimer’s disease. In Japan, people routinely enjoy natto for breakfast, served on top of rice with an egg split over it.
You can find fermented soy foods at health food stories, Asian markets, or online.
PROCESSED SOY FOODS AFFECTS THE HEALTH
The physical properties of foods are artificially altered in a way that makes them dangerous
- Soybean oil is one of the major processed oil that is used to frying commercial food items. The fatty acids in soybeans are mostly Omega-6 polyunsaturated fats. Omega-6s in the diet can lead to inflammation and health issues. so, avoid soybean oil and other vegetable oil high in Omega-6 and processed foods that contain it.
- When using processed soy foods regularly women’s have some problems like stopped menstruating, stomach upset, moody and bloated, Endocrine disruption and digestive problems
- Processed soy milk , cheese contain chemicals and devoid of nutrients. Processing decrease the nutrient content like calcium, fiber content. Tofu and soymilk contain little fiber.
- In Japan and china have a lower incidence of breast and prostate cancer due to a traditional diet that includes soy than people in the United States. But Asians include small amounts about nine grams a day mainly fermented soy products such as miso, natto, tempeh and some tofu.
- Fermenting soy creates health promoting probiotics, the good bacteria. It helps to maintain digestive and overall wellness. But in United States processed soy snacks or shakes can contain over 20 grams of non-fermented soy protein in one serving.
- In soy formula the estrogen in soy will affect the hormonal development, brain, reproductive systems and thyroid of the children.
- It contain large amount of manganese and it create the deficit disorder and neurotoxicity in Infants. The Israeli health ministry recently issued and advisory stating that infant should avoid soy formula.
SOY CONTAIN ANTI NUTRIENTS – IS IT SAFE TO EAT?
For human consumption, soybeans must be cooked with “wet” heat to destroy the trypsin inhibitors. Raw soybeans are toxic to humans and animals.
Some of the soy based studies in related to disease prevention is controversial. But, evidences in human shows that soy is safe for women to consume. And research suggest that consuming soy during puberty reduces risk for breast cancer in later life.
Research shows that isoflavones have no effect on sperm quality or testosterone levels in men. And , soy does not prevent ovaluation in women. There is no evidence of reproductive problems in populations with regular soy foods consumption.
Soy does not affect thyroid function in healthy adults. Many foods including soy ,broccoli, and millet contain goitrogens that interfere with thyroid gland. Most people can eat these foods regularly without problems. Problems occur in people who have low intake of the iodine which is needed for mineral thyroid function. So, people who have thyroid problem control the soy foods.
Consuming soy foods will leads to poor mineral status is not founded. When you take soy foods you should take other mineral and vitamin sources like iron , zinc and vitamin C.
Studies have been raise questions about the safety of soy but the bulk of the evidence shows that it is safe.
Soy is rich in nutrients like calcium and protein and it is good for health. But in which form we take is very important. Fermented soy foods helps to improve our gut function and digestion. Nutrients in fermented soy is easily absorbed in our body. So , Please try fermented soy foods. It is very important to avoid uncooked and processed soy foods. Uncooked soy equal to poison. processed soy creates various health problems. So, avoid using processed soy milk and cheese.
So, Enjoy natural, organically grown, unprocessed soy foods.
I invite you all to become an Healthy Bee at http://eagertobehealthy.com/podcast